There is a new video of the Japanese/Dutch Duo Ueda Offermans presenting a summary of their concert program. The video includes Heike Monogatari, Genji-Monogatari, Tsuru-no-Sugomori, How to Survive in Paradise II and more. You can find the video here.
Duo Ueda Offermans present a their acoustic duo concert at Iglesia de St Julien, Olargues on 14th June and Iglesia St Roch, Maury (France). The event is part of the 8ème Festival Les Troubadours Chantent l'Art Roman en Languedoc-Roussillon. The duo - by Junko Ueda (voice / biwa) and Wil Offermans on flutes - performs a program of their works as well as some traditional Japanese pieces, including Heike Monogatari, Genji Monogatari and Tsuru-no-Sugomori.
Date & Time: May 17th 2013, 13:00 ~ 17:00
Location: Trunk Theatre Studio (Ryogoku / 1-4-5 Honjo Sumida-ku, Tokyo)
Map: Click here
Tickets: 2.500 yen (reserved), 3.000 yen (door)
Inquiries/Reservations: 03-3624-5120 (Trunk Theatre Studio)
Concert - New Music // Convergences with Poetry. Junko Ueda performs two pieces by Canadian composer Daryl Jamieson
- On love to be Endured (biwa & voice solo) world premier
- Dawn Prayers (koto, shakuhachi, biwa & two voices)
Date & Time: May 19th, 2013, 14:00
Location: Tokyo National Museum, Kujokan (Ueno)
Tickets: 2.500 yen (reserved), 3.000 yen (door)
Inquiries/Reservations: Click here
Performers: Shunko Mise (violin); Nobutaka Yoshizawa (koto); Mika Kimura (voice); Christopher Yohmei (shakuhachi); Junko Ueda (biwa/voice)
- concert: 14:30-15:30
- meet & greet (with food and drinks): 15:30-16:15
- guided tour through the expo "Samurai": 16:15-17:15
For more information and ticket reservation, you can find at the homepage of World Museum Rotterdam.
- March 17 2013: Solo recital at Wereld Museum in Rotterdam, Holland
- May 19 2013: Performing two pieces composed by Canadian composer Daryl Jamieson at National Museum in Tokyo, Japan
- June 14 2013: Duo Ueda-Offermans at Iglesia de St Julien, Olargues, France*
- June 15 2013: Duo Ueda-Offermans at Iglesia St Roch, Maury, France*
- August 24 2013: Duo Ueda-Offermans at Iglesia Ntre. Dame de Riquer, Catllar, France*. (*=8ème Festival Les troubadours chantent l'art roman en Languedoc-Roussillon, France)
For the registration to participate, call to +41(0) 22 919 04 94 or email to 'stages ( at ) adem .ch'. More information is available at the website of Ateliers d'Ethnomusicologie.
- CD 1: ERKOS Texts extracted from the Devî-Upanishad and the Devî-Mâhâtmya (in Sanskrit). electro-acoustic realization: Studio für Elektronische Musik, Westdeutscher Rundfunk WDR, Cologne, performed by Junko Ueda (Satsuma-Biwa, Voice); Jean-Claude Eloy (sound projection)
- CD 2: GALAXIES, with the vocal solo « …Kono yo no hoka… » (…This world beyond…), poems : Izumi Shikibu, Chiyojo (in Japanese), electro-acoustic realization: Sweelinck Conservatorium, Amsterdam - Technische Universität, Berlin, performed by Junko Ueda (Voice); Jean-Claude Eloy (sound projection)
- Taiyô (Tendai-shomyo)
- Dan-no-Ura (traditional biwa music)
- Yoshitsune (traditional biwa music)
- Gion-Shôja.(traditional biwa music)
Duo Ueda Offermans performs in the yearly festival “Semana Cultural del Japón’ in Salamanca, Spain on the 20th March 2012. The program includes:
- Tsuru-no-Sugomori, flute solo
- Heike-Monogatari, biwa & flute arrangement
- Amenimo-makezu, poem by Kenji Miyazawa, biwa & voice
- Inner Voices, voice & Thumpy flute
- Murasaki-no-Ue, Genji Monogatari, biwa/voice & flute
On the 21st March, Ueda gives “Gion-Shoja singing workshop” (traditional biwa singing) at the University of Salamanca.
Junko Ueda performs her solo concert in the Festival New Music “Dag in de Branding” at Theater de Regentes, Den Haag, Holland on 10th March 2012. The concert starts at 19:00. The theme of the festival is “100 year John Cage”. The program is:
- Shomyo chanting, voice solo
- Yoshitsune, traditional biwa & song
- Voyage by Toru Takemitsu (1973), biwa & tape
YouTube video of Heike Monogatari by Duo Ueda Offermans recorded at Copis Miyoshi Concert Hall, Saitama, Japan on 24th December 2011. You can also see the video in the Video Gallery page.
Duo Ueda/Offermans gives three Christmas Concert in Saitama prefecture. The flute ensemble Piachere (led by Kotato Flute company) joins with the concert. The duo performs Japanese traditional biwa music Dan-no-Ura & Gion-Shoja, which is arranged for biwa, voice and flute by the duo.
• December 22, 2011 at Health & Welfare Centre, Kuki-shi, Saitama, Japan
• December 23, 2011 at Kuki Culture Centre, Kuki-shi, Saitama, Japan
• December 24, 2011 at Miyoshi Culture Centre, Miyoshi-machi, Saitama, Japan
On October 26 2011, the Duo Ueda/Offermans performed at Schunk* in Heerlen, Holland in the series of Newsical Experience, with coorganized by November Music in Den Bosch, Holland. The program included: Tsuru-no-Sugomori (Wil Offermans flute solo), Voyage (Junko Ueda for biwa & tape by Tôru Takemitsu) and How to Survive in Paradise II (Junko Ueda voice & Wil Offermans flutes, live-electronics). Of the last piece you can see a video below (original length about 29 minutes).
"How to Survive in Paradise II (composed in 1990 in Singapore by Wil Offermans) images a science-fictional paradise, where a pleasant, lush and peaceful life in harmony with nature is gradually eroded by mankind, its actions, restlessness and curiosity.”