On the 1st November 2015, Junko Ueda gives her recital "The Epic of The Heike" at Bourgie Hall in Montreal, Canada, performing four pieces: Dan-no-Ura; Shunkan; Yoshitsune; Gion-Shôja. This concert is presented with English and French subtitling. Next day, she presents her shomyo workshop at University of Montreal.
October 3, 2015, 20:30: Double concert 'Musiques du Japon Ancien, Chants Biwa et Koto' at MEG - Musée d'ethnographie de Genève.
October 3, 2015, 14:00 ~ 16:00: for advanced students
October 4, 2015, 10:30 ~ 12:30: for beginners
October 4, 2015, 14:00 ~ 16:00: for advanced students
October 4, 2015, 16:30 ~ 17:15: presentation of the workshop at MEG
Concert and workshops are organized by Ateliers d'ethnomusicologie in the occasion of the exhibition at MEG 'The Buddhism of Madame Butterfly, Buddhist Japonism'. Registration and information of the workshop: 022-919.0494
• July 8, 2015, biwa solo concert, Devonshire Square, City of London Festival, UK, on the occasion of Festival Satsuma 150 (the 150 anniversary of the arrival of the Satsuma Students in the UK).
• July 10, 2015, Brunei Gallery Lecture Theatre, SOAS University of London, lecture and concert on the occasion of Festival Satsuma 150. At 17:15~18:00 lecture with Dr. Divid Hughes and at 19:00 biwa concert with traditional pieces and November Steps Cadenza by Toru Takemitsu (with shakuhachi by Joe Browning)
• July 11&12, 2015, 11:00 ~ 17:00: Two days Shomyo chanting workshops at SOAS University of London (Russell Square: College Buildings). More info and contact at: SOAS / Buddhist Chant from Japan
• September 6, 2015, biwa solo concert in Koncert Kirken, Copenhagen World Music Festival, Denmark
• October 3, 2015, biwa concert in Ethnographic Museum, Geneva, on the occasion of Exhibition Buddhism
• October 3 & 4, 2015, shomyo Buddhist chanting workshop at Ethnographic Museum, Geneva, on the occasion of Exhibition Buddhism
• November 1, 2015, 14:00, biwa solo concert in The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, Bourgie Hall, Montreal, Canada
• November 2, 2015, shomyo workshop at University of Montreal
• November 20&21, 2015, biwa solo concert, Maison des Cultures du Monde, Paris, France
July 11-12, 2015, 11:00 ~ 17:00: Two days Shomyo chanting classes will take place at London University, SOAS (Russell Square: College Buildings). More info and contact at:
SOAS / Buddhist Chant from Japan
After the one-week Shomyo Summer Course last year in Geneva (La Croisée des Cultures - 20e Stage de Danses et Musiques du Mondo), from last December Ueda is presenting Shomyo Workshop every two month at Ateliers d'ethnomusicologie, Geneva, Swiss. The nest session is:
- Date: Thursday, 23 April, 2015
- Place: Ateliers d'ethnomusicologie (10, Rue de Montbrillant, Geneva)
- Time: 18:00 ~ 18:50 : beginner, 19:00 ~ 21:30 : All together (beginner + advanced)
- Fee: beginner + all together 60 frs (50 frs for ADEM members), All together 50 frs (40 frs for ADEM members)
- Information: 022-919.0494
- Registration: 022-919.0494, firstname.lastname@example.org
- November 14, 2014, 18:30: Gion-Shoja Biwa Singing Workshop at Kôfuku-ji Temple, Nagasaki, Japan.
- November 15, 2014, 18:00: Duo Ueda Offermans Concert at Kôfuku-ji Temple, Nagasaki, Japan. The program includes: Tsuru-no-Sugomori; Shunkan; Heike Duo and Ingen's Dream (with shomyo Buddhist chanting of Obaku-shu monks). Ingen's Dream is their special composition, dedicated for Ingen's (Chinese founder of Obaku-shu Buddhist sect) arrival in Japan 360 years anniversary.
- December 11, 2014, 18:30 ~ 21:30: Shomyo Workshop at Ateliers d'ethnomusicologie, Geneva, Swiss.
- February 26, 2015, 18:15 ~ 19:00 beginners / 19:00 ~ 21:30 all together: Shomyo Workshop at Ateliers d'ethnomusicologie, Geneva, Swiss.
- March 28, 2015, 22:00: Festival Electr()cution, Brest, France. Ueda will perform "Erkos" and "Galaxies", compositions by French composer Jean-Claude Eloy for biwa/voice and live-electronics.
This summer Junko Ueda's new solo CD Meditative Flowers has been released. In this CD, Ueda sings Shomyo: the Japanese Buddhist chanting. This Japanese shomyo chanting has a 1200 year old history and this traditional music has been continuously handed down from generation to generation until now. In this CD, with her dedication and experience of 32 years' practice, Junko Ueda demonstrates four pieces from the shomyo of Tenda-shû sect. The CD is available in the Studio E Online Shop with a special launch-price of 14,95€.
On August 7th the Duo Ueda Offermans (Junko Ueda: biwa and voice; Wil Offermans: flutes) performs a duo concert for the Academie Internationale d'Ete de Nice at the Conservatoire de Musique, Nice. They shars the stage with flutist Sophie Cherrier. (photo left to right: Junko Ueda; Wil Offermans; Sophie Cherrier; Olivier Gardon; Gerard Kurdjian).
Junko Ueda presents a one-week Shomyo chanting course in Geneva, Swiss from 29 June till 6 July, 2014. This course is organized by Atelier d'Ethnomusicologie as part of their annual summer course series " La Croisée des Cultures - 20e Stage de Danses et Musiques du Monde". The shomyo chanting course schedule:
- 29th June, 15:00: Demonstration at Atelier d'Ethnomusicologie
- 30th June - 5th July: Shomyo classes (time table and place, see below)
- 6th July: Final Presentation
For registration: click here
Tél. (+ 41 22) 919 04 94
Fax (+ 41 22) 919 04 95
E-Mail : email@example.com
- April 5, 2014, 21:00: Duo Ueda Offermans at Teatro Alhambra, Granada, Spain. La Semana de Japón organized by University of Granada.
- April 29, 2014, 19:30: Shomyo workshop / Biwa demonstration at Conservatory Superior of Granada.
- May 30, 2014, 21:00: Solo recital in Yourte Parc Bernasconi Petit Lancy, Geneve, Swiss. Festival Poussière du Monde organized by ADEM.
- June 16, 2014: Duo Ueda Offermans at University of Örebro, Sweden.
- June 16, 2014: Shomyo Buddhist chanting workshop at University of Örebro, Sweden.
- June 29 ~ July 6, 2014: Junko Ueda gives one week course of Shomyo Buddhist chanting at Ateliers d'Ethnomusicologie in Geneve, Swiss in the summer course series of La Croisée des Cultures 2014. For registration, call to +41-22 919 0494 or use contact form at www.adem.ch
- August 7, 2014, 20:30: Duo Ueda Offermans at Conservatoire de Musique, Nice, France. The concert series "Melting Point" at Académie Internationale d'Eté de Nice.